Saturday, October 23, 2010

Teaching Social Studies in the Classroom

This week while I was in the 2nd grade classroom, I had an eye opener.  I have been going to this classroom for the past month and a half and never once have I seen my teacher mentor teach Social Studies.  Well, Friday, one of the students asked the teacher when they were going to learn and use their Social Studies book.  I was shocked to hear my mentor teacher say, "when we have time".  I could not believe what she had said.  That situation opened up my eyes and showed me that I do not want to be a teacher who pushes Social Studies to the side.  Social Studies is important an should be taught every week.  I am just upset because these students in 2nd grade want to learn Social Studies and the teacher does not see.

By the way, I have officially passed ALL of my Praxis!!! I am so relieved and happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment